What's new in the 2017 USABO?
Welcome to the 2017 USABO competition! The 2017 changes reflect the continued development and recognition of USABO where students who are passionate about biology find like-minded colleagues in the USA and abroad.
Coming! Scantron Form Changes
Scantron form submissions will change for 2017. Scantron will mail all prepopulatred scantrons to each school prior to the exam. All scantrons will be returned to Scantron and not to the USABO. Certificate forms will still be sent to the USABO.Test Administrators will be responsible for sending these to the USABO at the time they return the scantron forms to Scantron.
What is the USABO? page
This page is the landing site for the USABO. New to this page:
- What is new in biology TODAY? Click on the photo and read the latest in biological research for that day.
- Click on the Facebook icon at the bottom of the page and friend the USABO. New on the USABO Facebook page:
- News and interesting facts in biology each day.
- Opportunities for students at the high school, undergraduate, and graduate level in biological research worldwide.
- Celebration of a famous biologist's birthday with a link to information regarding his/her contributions to biology.
USABO Registration Site
CEE continues to work on providing a more user-friendly registration site tested for usability by USABO teachers. Once your school information has been entered, it will be permanently stored to ease registration in coming years. If you registered your school for the USABO in the years 2011 through 2015, you will find your school in the dropdown menu in the Test Administrator section on the USABO homepage. Although you will find your school in the dropdown menu, all teachers and students will still need to register for 2017.
USABO Exam Question Format
The 2013 International Biology OIympiad (IBO) Theoretical Exam changed the question format of the exam to the Multiple True/False Choice. This year in Denmark, this was the format used for Theoretical. Both the Theoretical and Practicals were all digital. The USABO Semifinal and National Exams include the Multiple True/False question format.
Teacher Resource Center (TRC)
The TRC is a work in progress. Once your school has completed the registration process and payment has been received, please check the TRC for the latest resources and links to help you to prepare your students for the USABO. Content is arranged according to the seven IBO focus groups:
- Cell Biology
- Animal Anatomy and Physiology
- Plant Anatomy and Physiology
- Genetics and Evolution
All Open Exams and the Semifinal Exams from 2003 to 2013 with keys are available online in the Teacher Resource Center (TRC). Test Administrators may use themwith their students in hard copy format only as they see fit. Under no circumstances is the URL to be provided to students or the exams to be linked to other web sites!
Student Corner (SC)
This area is open to ALL students whether they have registered for the USABO or not. It includes the following sections:
- How to Start a USABO Club: Step by step information and guidance from USABO students who have formed USABO Clubs at their schools. Each year, this information is updated with input from USABO participants.
- General Content: As the title implies, this has information on the areas of the IBO Curriculum.
- Content: This area has been expanded to include:
- Suggested sites.
- Suggested texts for in-depth and supplemental study or reading.
- Scientist of interest
- USABO Finalists' Favorite Links
- Introduction to the seven areas of the IBO curriculum resources where more indepth resources are found in the Student Resource Center.
Student Resource Center (SRC)
This page has information specifically for students who have registered for the USABO.
- All seven areas of the International Biology Olympiad (IBO) have been updated with useful links, study problems, and other resources to prepare for the USABO.
- The Biodiverisity area has an image of a common organism for each taxonomic representative prescribed by the IBO.
- Tips for Studying for the USABO by former National Finalists will be available November 17.